Tuesday, December 6, 2011

House of Pain

Went to see my chiropractor today to have him work on my knee. My runner's knee is acting up because of the longer distances I've been running lately. My half marathon is on Sunday so I wanted to get all the kinks worked out. 

My chiropractor practices A.R.T. (active release technique) and the Graston method.
  • "The ART provider uses his or her hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves. Abnormal tissues are treated by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements." http://www.activerelease.com/what_patients.asp
  • "The Graston Technique® incorporates a patented form of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively detect and treat scar tissue and restrictions that affect normal function." http://www.grastontechnique.com/FAQs.html 
I've gotten good results from both of these techniques, but it can be very painful during treatment. Today while I was being tortured treated with the beauty there on the bottom in the photo I thought I might pass out! I didn't pass out, I just breathed through it like when I was giving birth. My doc said that the professional athletes he treats nicknamed his office the "house of pain" so I feel like I'm pretty tough.

This tough girl came home with some foam rolling and stretching torture homework. I'm hoping this along with the past 12 weeks of training will help me achieve a PR at RunGirl 13.1 on Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment