Monday, December 12, 2011

RunGirl 13.1 Race Report

Race day started early with my alarm going off at 4:30 a.m. My first thought was, "I need COFFEE!" I drank my Community Cafe Special and played on the computer for a while so that I could wake up. I like having extra time to slowly come alive in the mornings. Then it was time for my pre-race meal. I ate scrambled eggs with olive oil, yellow bell pepper & scallions, avocado, blackberries, banana, and strawberries. Since I was up so early I had plenty of time for my food to digest.

Pre-race meal
Pretty peppy for 5 a.m.

Then it was time to get dressed. The weather forecast was 44 degrees warming to about 49 degrees, overcast, winds up to 10 mph, humidity around 55%, with a 10% chance of rain. I really had a hard time deciding what I was going to wear. I didn't want to be cold but I also didn't want to be too hot. I ended up deciding on capri running tights, long sleeved tech shirt, ear warmers, a vest, and light gloves.

I headed out to the race at 6 a.m. I arrived at the race site an hour and a half early, doh! I didn't want to be late and I sure wasn't. I had plenty of time to drink my 20 oz bottle of water, visit the facilities (twice) and take a few photos. However, I spent most of my time sitting in my car where it was nice and warm. I went over and over my race plan in my head. My plan was to take a gel 10 minutes before race start and then one every 45 minutes and to just take in water on the course. Plan for pace was to start out at a 10:30 pace and work up to a 10:00 pace through the race. Ultimate plan was to run my race and not worry about what everyone else was doing.


Hiding out in my car until race start. I was SO COLD!!!
My inspirational photo of the morning. I was going to cross that finish line and hopefully with a PR!

Finally it was 8:00 a.m. and I lined up in the starting chute with 873 other women. I positioned myself in the back of the 10:00 pace group. It was a sea of pinks, purples, and other vibrant colors. There was a quiet excitement hovering over the crowd. And then we were off!

In the starting chute

It took a couple of seconds to get going but then I was moving! I looked down at my Garmin and I was going at a sub 10:00 pace, not the plan. I tried to slow it down but with the adrenaline and all the runners around me I just kept going at that pace. I was feeling great! At the 10k point I had run my fastest 10k ever! Again I said to myself, "You've got to slow down. You're going to burn out!" but I kept going.

Around mile 7 or 8 my left knee and right calf started to bug me. The knee is a long standing issue so I just tried to ignore it. The calf is a more recent injury that I'm pretty sure I got while  doing speed work which was way too fast for me. The pain wasn't so bad that I thought I might really injure myself so I kept on trucking!

Sometime during mile 9 or 10 I decided that I was going to drop the hammer the last two miles. I knew I was set up to PR but I wanted to do the best I possibly could. I wanted to put every ounce of effort my body contained out there on the course. Those last two miles were painful and I remember grimacing and grunting quite a bit. Then I saw the finish line and I sprinted the last tenth of a mile.

I had done it a new PR! I finished in 2:08:36. That is 22:30 faster than my previous PR! I ranked 51 out of 161 in my age group and 254 out of 874 overall. My splits according to my Garmin: 9:49, 9:53, 9:58, 10:02, 10:09, 9:40, 9:38, 9:59, 10:03, 9:50, 9:52, 9:13, 9:09, 7:39 (.19 mile).

I stuck to my nutrition plan which worked and even though I didn't stick to my pace plan things worked out in my favor. Perhaps I got lucky or maybe I underestimated myself. I guess I'll find out the next time I race a half marathon. But for now I'm just stoked about my new PR! 

My awesome post race pic provided for FREE by RunGirl 13.1!

After the race I headed over to the post race festivities and ate almost everything in sight. Paleo went out the window and I had this rice and meat concoction from My Fit Foods, an egg and bacon burrito from Juan's Big Burrito, a banana, hot chocolate and my favorite a mini lemon bundt cake with cream cheese frosting from Nothing Bundt Cakes. Then I took advantage of the free photo at the Flashbox booth, so cute! Finally I had a massage provided by Koala Health & Wellness. That massage hurt so good!

Once my belly was full and I'd perused all the goodies I decided to head home. When I got there my husband came outside and gave me a round of applause. He is so sweet. My boys congratulated me too, although I'm not sure they understood how excited I was about my PR. They did comment on what an awesome medal I received.

RunGirl 13.1 finisher's medal with removable charm

After all the congratulations it was time for the dreaded ice bath. I prepared a steaming hot mug of cinnamon spice tea and headed to the tub. I sat in the ice bath for about 10 minutes then took a hot shower and got into some sweats.


I spent the rest of the day lounging around in my CEP compression socks and icing my knee and calf every two hours. My husband was very accommodating and got me anything I needed and kept watch of our boys. I love that man! This morning I woke up a little stiff and very sore but my knee and calf pain have diminished some. I'll probably hobble around most of today but it was totally worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment